Friday, February 1, 2008

Emergency squirt bottle

I am going to be working at some outdoor coffee and taffy kiosks for the next few weeks. Today, we had set up the first taffy stand, and then went to the second to start cooking the taffy needed there. We realized after starting the batch, that we would need butter before it reached a certain temperature to prevent it from boiling over and exploding everywhere. I ran out in a frenzy because I had only about 15 minutes to find somewhere and return. I realized, on my way, that I would also need a squirt bottle. I had no idea how I was going to produce these two items in 15 minutes.

Shoppers Drug Mart. Of course. Butter was even on sale, and I bought a tiny squirt bottle for $6. My phone started to ring, "hurry, it's getting close!". I notice a dollar store next door. I think, if I get in and out of there really quick, I could probably get a better squirt bottle for $5 cheaper." I run through the store like a maniac, grab a squirt bottle, run to the cash. "How are you?" asks the cashier, sensing my impending doom or possibly just being polite. "Pretty well, tired... yourself?" "Good." "I can't imagine people often come running in at 9pm because they have an emergency requiring a squirt bottle." I comment. "You'd be surprised," she responded, as I took off for my car. I made it back just in time!

No comments: