Friday, February 29, 2008

Bringing awkward silence to a new level

[about 20 minutes into a conversation between three girls]

"Guys, I have big news. But I want you to be more supportive than my parents were when I told them."

I wonder what she could possibly be doing that her parents wouldn't understand and agree that we would certainly be supportive.

"I'm gay. Just kidding. I'm going to run a marathon."

I don't think we knew what to address first, the fact that she managed to convince us for about 4 seconds that she was gay and her parents were against it, that she made a horrible joke about homosexuality, the surprise that she was going to run a marathon or the shock that her parents were not supportive of her running a marathon. However, we successfully overlooked most of the facets of that statement and went with unquestioning support of the marathon.

No comments: