Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Recycled phone numbers

About 5 months ago, I canceled my phone plan. I usually do at the end of each summer, as I work a seasonal position where I use about 1200 minutes a month, and my regular phone is on a discounted work plan so it's hard to switch it back and forth. Plus, then the staff can't call my phone at 7:30am on a Saturday 2 months after we closed down operations because they think the weather might be good enough to warrant re-opening.

Anyway, one of my friends who worked for me a couple of times in the summer called me about a month ago. "I just found out the hard way that you no longer have that number," he said, "some guy answered and it was very confusing."

I imagine this is likely because I used to let other people answer my phone all the time, but anyway.

At the time, we laughed, and I seriously considered calling the guy who had my old number assigned to him, knowing that if he is getting calls now, he will be getting hundreds of calls come early May. And some of the staff probably won't believe him if he says he has no idea who I am.

Since then, I've heard of more people calling this guy. My mom, for instance, among others. People program new numbers in their phones and never take them out, I guess.

The question now is, do I call this guy, and suggest that he changes his number while it's still not too much of a hassle? Or do I ignore it, knowing he is going to be really pissed off in a couple of months that he got the most called number ever? He may not even believe me, and then I will feel like a jerk for calling. And maybe it won't be that bad. However, if I were him, I would want to know. What do you think? Would you want to get a call from the previous owner of your phone number telling you that you might want to change it? Or would you just think they were crazy?

No comments: