Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Need a doctor

I'm pretty sure I have cholera, or the plague, or something. Tuberculosis. Something obscure, that there's pretty much no way I have.

I need a doctor. Badly. The worst part is, I technically have one. But I am really uncomfortable with him and I have no faith in his ability to diagnose me. I mean, not to be picky or anything - I really don't think I am. But I've gone in to discuss medication that they have put me on there, to be told that they have never given me that medication and they don't know why they would for those symptoms. To the point where I had to produce a copy of the prescribed item with their name on the bottle to prove it.

I've also had back problems so bad that I could barely stand up for more than 10 minutes, to which they informed me that I was fine. And he once asked me, "Do you date?" to find out if I was sexually active - which was fairly awkward until I realized what he was actually asking me.

That essentially sums up the only 4 times I've been to a doctor in the past 12 or 13 years, so basically, I'm better off on my own than going to this place. As a last resort, an emergency clinic or hospital.

However, I am here, and I am more ill than I am letting on (in spite of being very dramatic about the whole thing), and it's not an emergency, but I worry, and I have nowhere to go. So I am here. I am speculating about unrealistic illnesses I could have because I want to believe that all I have had is a cold. And the flu. For a month and a half. When I typically only get sick for maybe two days, once every couple of years. But the idea of waiting two hours in a clinic to be assessed by someone who is probably more competent than my doctor but I will likely never see again, and will probably just put me on something I could pick up at a drug store to ease my cough, is not particularly appealing.

On the bright side, a French doctor's clinic about 25 minutes away in the other end of town has said they may be able to take me on as a patient. They said they will call me back. In a week. If they have space. Here's hoping.

No comments: