Monday, February 4, 2008

work and the internet

Frig, I love this whole blogging thing but the whole thing makes me paranoid.

Mostly because I want to talk about things I shouldn't talk about. My job. My whereabouts. Things I do that make me a good target for theft. Disastrous relationships. Feelings.

I suppose I can talk about some of those things. My job, for instance. I am self employed, so no one will ever reprimand me for talking about it. I can't get fired. But I could lose business contacts, and contracts, and I could unintentionally make my business associates look bad, something I would never want to do. I could inadvertantly make myself sound unprofessional; though my professional actions and the thoughts in my head are very different. I roll my eyes in my mind all the time, but I don't often show it.

It's something to think about, for sure. As I realize this blogging world is so much bigger than I ever imagined it to be, I also realize that this must be a very common issue. Where do you draw the line? People who know me well enough to know most of these stories also know I have the traits to accomplish everything I could ever want to accomplish in the business world. However, those types of things do not necessarily transfer well through the internet, even though they could theoretically need to for the sake of my well-being.

No comments: