Sunday, March 2, 2008

20 minutes of reflection

With the snowfall yesterday morning, we opted to cancel a few of our staff in the morning - it was slow, and since we work outdoors we try not to subject the staff to crazy weather if we don't need to. Sometimes they are receptive to this, other times I am met with disappointment, so I typically dread making those phone calls, never knowing what to expect. The girl we were canceling is a friend of mine who had just been booked the day before, so it could have gone either way.

"Hey, it's me. I'm just calling because I don't think we are going to need you for today - it's still snowing pretty hard and we may close down altogether in an hour or two."

"THANK GOD!" she said, with a sense of urgency, "I had no idea when I was going to do that French assignment. I'll stop by to drop off the money I owe you, though. See you soon!"

I was relieved to know it wasn't a problem and 20 minutes later, she showed up to drop off the money I had lent her earlier in the week.

"By the way, when I said 'thank God' earlier... I actually meant, 'that's no problem at all, I will just have more time to work on my assignments.'"

Oh how I love delayed tact.

No comments: