Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Officially ending my relationship with mannequins

So, I went to a tanning salon yesterday.

I know, I know. I'm so vain. Half the time I am sitting there thinking, wow, these people are so vain! Wait... I'm here too! Dammit!

And no, I'm not one of those people that justifies it by saying I do it for the vitamin D. Bullshit, take a vitamin or spend 15 minutes outdoors. You know you are doing it to look good. I tell myself I do it because I feel better about the way I look and I also enjoy the heat and relaxation. It's as if I'm on vacation for 8 minutes at a time, and I like it. I don't do it excessively, either.

Anyway, I signed up for this 3 visits for $3 at a new salon to try it out. I've been going at the gym and I still have piles and piles of unused minutes (they had a fantastic deal awhile back), but I have moved and the gym is just really far away now, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

So time number 3 comes around, and the lady, who is obviously a manager, informs me that I have zero minutes left.

"Oh of course," I say, "I'm still on my 3 visits for $3 thing".

"Actually, you only have 7 days to use those three visits, the receptionist would have told you when you signed up."

"Well she didn't," I respond. And I always listen for catches like that so I don't miss out. At least then, if I don't do it in time, I knew what I was getting into.

"Well, they definitely told you. We train our staff extensively and they tell every single person who signs up. Sometimes people only hear what they want to hear and they don't hear them say that part, but we always tell the customers."

So now it's an attack on her ability to train her staff. They definitely didn't tell me. And she's accusing me of not listening, like I'm some moron. I'm pissed.

"We also have it written on the sheet you signed when you signed up," she says.

This is probably true. I didn't read the contract, I let the clerk summarize it. I have lost. I still want her to know her receptionist didn't inform me.

"Ok, if it was on the contract that's fair, I didn't read that, but she definitely didn't say anything about it or I would remember."

"If it was Stephanie or Michelle, which it probably was, they definitely told you."

She doesn't believe me. I won't be returning. Great business sense, isn't it?

No comments: