Sunday, March 9, 2008

Unofficially, Post #100

So I just took the longest half-block walk to ever have existed.

As you know I'm staying at a friend's, and he has a dog that loves to play. Usually when I'm around it's limited to car rides, running around in the yard, and throwing toys, but today, I could tell, he had something different in mind.

He gave me this look. I don't know if you noticed, but there is 18 feet of snow on the lawn, and although I'm usually pretty easy-going about going in the yard when you are watching me, it is so not happening today, and there is no way I'm going on the driveway.

I stood up in understanding, and he jumped around in circles, mentally shouting, Eureka! It's walk time! Lets GOOOOOOOO!!

I found a car door high enough up off the ground to open (not the front door, alas) and retrieved my snow pants. This was going to be interesting.

What didn't occur to me was that the path was going to be less plowed than the roads, and there is snow up to my waist. Not the kind that is strong enough to hold you up, either.

It was taller than the freaking dog, a large old english sheepdog that towers over most dogs. The path is behind the house but we walked around on the road to get to it, approximately one house down. By the time I actually got behind our house, I was panting and sweating like I had just run a marathon, and there was NO WAY he was finding a place to go to the washroom here. I didn't think I'd even make it back if I went much further, at least not without snow shoes. So, I guess he will be digging a spot out on the lawn, because at least it has sides.

No comments: