Monday, March 24, 2008

The problem-solver

"What's that beeping?"

"I don't know, an alarm of some sort."

I search through my purse to find a pedometer I impulsively bought for around $3 last week. Apparently something set its alarm off and now I was going to have to turn it off.

I push all the buttons. Nothing. I hold each of the individual buttons down. I start coming up with combinations, pushing them and then holding them down. Nothing works. I consider throwing it out the window. No way, I paid $3 for this! I try to unscrew the back that holds the battery in. The screw is far too small.

Finally, I put it inside a mitten which I put inside a pencil case filled with stuff. Problem solved. Or so I thought.

Eventually (read: the following day) I needed the mitt, pencil case, and whatnot. I try the smallest screwdriver I own, which is intended for glasses, but achieve nothing. I place said pedometer in the middle of a box I am filling with clothes to give to charity.

That night, I am lying in bed and I hear a beeping sound. Dammit!

I put the box in the closet.

Today, I decide to clean out my closet. I try to find a place in my apartment where I will be unable to hear it. I consider throwing it out the window. I still recall paying $3. I put it in the linen closet, wrapped up in a towel. It will be there for awhile.

No comments: